Selling Your Home
If you are thinking of selling your home, before you become overwhelmed at the task we need to discuss 10 steps that will help bring you the objective of making this process easier on you.
1. Determine Why And When You Would Like To Sell
Motivation plays a critical factor in determining what course of action you need to take. Spring is typically a faster paced season to sell and winter tends to be a little slower. Regardless, there are always people looking to buy and seasons are only one factor to consider. Give us a call. We will be able to help get you in the right direction.
2. Find A Realtor Who Is Right For You
Think locally as they will know your area. Dont be afraid to ask questions, interview the candidates. A good Realtor will know the market well, supply you with information on past sales, current listings and his/her background form previous clients. They should also provide a solid marketing plan which should indicate how much your home should go for.
3. Sign A Listing Agreement With Us
It authorizes The Property Gals and our brokerage to market and sell your home. The agreement serves 3 purposes:
- It defines our relationship including the detail and limits of your Realtors authority.
- It provides detailed information on the home which can be posted on the Multiple Listing Service.
- It forms a basis for drafting offers on your home, formal offers start with the Listing Agreement.
4. Set Your Price
You want to attract buyers, the right asking price will attract not deter. We know the factors affecting the market. For example: Your neighborhood may be under development with larger families and houses, there may be a large company opening up bringing jobs and a demand for housing in general, interest rates may be affecting peoples willingness to take out mortgages. We will do a comparative Market Analysis (CMA) to the homes recently sold, active and expired in your area and we will set the price.
5. Find A Lawyer
You need to find a lawyer to do your conveyance; its where they transfer the title of the property to your name. Ask them how they structure their fees and get an estimate of all other costs you can expect. Please see our ‘Completion Costs Guide page.
6. Prepare Your Home For Viewing
Get your mop, vacuum, tool belt & paint brush and lets get your home a mini make-over. It's the little things you can do to attract an offer. Get rid of the clutter, clean everything, repair as much as you can within reason, add some beautifying touches like new door handles on cupboards and perhaps even paint.
7. Let The Property Gals Market Your Home
This is our expertise and this is where we can be at most benefit to you and your success. Please see Our 'Value Proposition to You’ page for more description. Here you will find step by step how we will help you achieve your goal. We will use combinations of marketing from traditional media to MLS, our own website and networking. Open House for Realtors and the public is also very beneficial.
8. Prepare Your Finances
Is your mortgage portable without any penalties? Can the buyer assume your mortgage? Can you discharge your mortgage without any penalties? Does capital gains tax apply to you? Talk with your mortgage broker and perhaps your accountant to see what applies
9. Offers! Lets Look At Offers
We will walk you through the process, you will see every offer. There may be some conditions you may want to change; we will discuss each and every detail. This is one of the most important tasks and reasons you have hired The Property Gals; their negotiation skills. Don't be offended if your offer is well below the asking price. Instead, evaluate it for what its worth and counter back. Successful negotiation is an art and because it's a highly emotional time, we are here to guide you through with success.
10. Close The Deal!
Excellent! Negotiations are successful and we have time for the most vital steps now.
- Contact your lawyer and let them know an Agreement has been signed.
- Immediately begin satisfying any conditions that require your actions to complete
- Notify the lawyer and lending institution if the buyer is assuming your mortgage
- Contact utilities, telephone and cable companies about transfer or removal of service
- Call insurance agent and arrange cancellation or transfer of your homeowners insurance
- Call a moving company
- Send out change of address cards including Ministry of Transportation for your BCDL etc.
- Notify us immediately if there are any changes to your property or situation.
Congratulations!!! You have sold your house! We are pleased to have helped you :-)